Welcome To The Southern Chapter Web Site

 

Chapter Information:

History:

The Southern Ohio Chapter was founded on October 3, 1954. Not only was the Southern Chapter the first chapter in the Ohio Region, it was the first in the Antique Automobile Club of America. In fact, the national club did not establish chapter regulations for several years after our chapter was formed.

In 1953 through the efforts of Joe Antrim, a meeting was set up for Glenn Perkins in Dearborn, Michigan, with Les Henry, A.A.C.A. President and Tom Lester, Ohio Region President. Glennís idea was to have another Region in Southern Ohio. Tom Lester convinced Glenn and Joe that one Region was enough for the state of Ohio and perhaps they should think in terms of forming a Chapter. Of course, they would have to have enough people interested to even qualify for a chapter.

Glenn and Joe began calling upon everyone that had an old car or interest and set up a meeting on October 3, 1954, in Wilmington, Ohio with Tom Lester. Tom was impressed with the 80 members that turned out, hence he offered Chapter status and this was accepted on the spot. Thus, "A New Baby was Born" and by January 1955, elected officers started their duties for the Chapter, known as the Cincinnati-Dayton Chapter. The first officers were Albert Lederer-Director, Herbert Bahl-Assistant Director, Dr. Dutton Heweston-Activities Chairman, Don Henderson-Membership Chairman, Joseph Antrim-Assistant Activities Chairman, Cornelius Hauck-Secretary, and John Brush-Treasurer. Early in 1956 the name of the Cincinnati-Dayton Chapter was changed to The Southern Ohio Chapter-also known as The Pioneer Chapter of the A.A.C.A..

On May 11-13, 1956, The Southern Ohio Chapter was host to its first Regional Spring Tour from Cincinnati to Wilmington, Ohio. The Southern Ohio stationary was designed by Cornelius Hauck. Al Fish designed the chapter emblem, using the O-H-I-O arrangement and coloring of the first Ohio license plate that was issued in 1908. (History taken from previous articles written for THE GAUGE)

Mission Statement:

The restoration and preservation of the antique automobile.

Geographical Boundaries:

Membership consists primarily of individuals living within a 60-mile radius of the Cincinnati-Dayton area.

 

Number of Members: 48

Activities: Held monthly:

Touring Season: April through October

Other Activities: November through March

(Other activities include visits to museums or other points of interest as well as our annual meeting and Christmas party)

Officers for 2014

President Merle Hoover
Vice President Tom Muth
Secretary  
Treasurer Nora Schreel
Gauge Editor Jack & Claire Dwyer
 Trustee Jay Kold

Newsletter Name and Description:

Newsletter is THE GAUGE and it is sent to Southern Ohio Chapter members on a monthly basis. Each month details the previous monthís activity and gives a preview of the upcoming event. Also included are member news and birthdays/anniversaries as well as classified advertisements by members.

           THE GAUGE

Membership Information:

Membership to our chapter is included in the Ohio Region dues when you designate The Southern Chapter on your application as your chapter affiliation.

 

Back ] Home ] Next ]

Hit Counter